Click here for our most recent award winners
West Virginia Annual Awards
DTCWV Defense Lawyer of the Year
This award may be given to a member of the DTCWV who has made a significant contribution towards achieving the goals and objectives of the organized defense bar.
Criteria for this award may include:
- The extent to which the member has made significant contributions to the goals and objectives of the organized defense bar over the last year
- The extent to which the member has demonstrated ethical, personal, and professional conduct consistent with the ideals of the organized defense bar
- The extent to which the member’s service to the profession and/or the civil defense bar is truly distinguished.
DTCWV Young Lawyer of the Year
This award may be given to a member of the DTCWV who has practiced five years or less or is under the age of 36 and has, by his or her ethical, personal, and professional conduct, shown exemplary achievement in the legal profession and/or who has contributed time and expertise to the DTCWV.
DTCWV President’s Award
This award may be given at the sole discretion of the President at the Annual Meeting.
Criteria may include:
- The extent to which the individual has provided service to the DTCWV and/or the organized defense bar
- The extent to which the individual has supported the President during his or her tenure as President
- Any other reason the President deems appropriate
In the initial year, the Board may consider collectively an inaugural slate of Diplomats as presented by the Nominating Committee. Thereafter, this award may be presented to up to three members annually for their outstanding leadership and involvement in the DTCWV over their career.
Criteria may include:
- The extent to which they have contributed to the DTCWV in many capacities; and
- The extent to which they exemplify the best in the practice of law by continually bringing credit to the profession and the organized defense bar.
Nomination Process For All Awards Other Than The President’s Award
- Nominating Committee shall consist of the Secretary as Chair, the Immediate past president, and one Board Member appointed by the President.
- A member may nominate another member for an award by submitting to the Nominating Committee the name of the nominee, the name of the nominator, and a brief statement supporting the nomination. No other information should be provided at the time of the initial nomination.
- The Nominating Committee may also consider members who have not been formally nominated.
- The Nominating Committee may seek additional information on any individual who may or may not have been formally nominated in evaluating candidates for an award.
- Nominations shall be submitted by a date established by the Committee.
- The Nominating Committee shall make recommendations for each award to the Board of Governors. The Board shall consider each award recommendation separately. Approval of each of the Nominating Committee’s recommendations must be by a majority vote sufficiently in advance of the Annual Meeting to allow for notification and presentation of each award at the Annual Meeting.