Aside from the obvious networking benefits of attending DTCWV functions and use of the DTCWV staff for selected communications to membership, we offer many benefits for the defense attorney and paralegal.
An electronic Newsletter is produced quarterly to provide members more insight into the activities of the organization, membership activities, CLE opportunities, firm updates, events, industry news and any other news of interest to our members.
Expert Witness Search
Our Expert Witness Search allows DTCWV members to poll membership and the DRI expert database for cross-information on expert witnesses via e-mail.
Verdicts, Rulings, Opinions
Opportunity to upload any verdicts, ruling and opinions to the DTCWV website and share with membership.
- Annual Meeting Program with CLE; usually held in May but we visit Myrtle Beach, SC every 3-4 years in June)
- Regional Luncheon and CLE held in September
- Women's Forum
- Deposition Boot Camp
- Trial Academy
- Expert Witness Seminar
- eDiscovery Seminar
- Substantive Committee CLE (one held for each of the 9 committees annually)
- Young Lawyer Committee CLE (one held annually)
Substantive Law Committees
Membership in DTCWV allows involvement and sharing of information from the various Substantive Committees. These Committees are:
- Business/Commercial Law Committee
- Construction Law Committee
- Energy Law Committee
- Employment Law
- Insurance Law
- Medical Liability
- Product Liability Committee
- Safety & Health Law Committee
- Workers' Compensation Committee
Committee contacts and email addresses can be found on our website's Substantive Law Committee Page.
Other Benefits or Activities
- A common voice for the civil defense litigation profession
- Email distribution of federal and state rulings/verdicts
- Board member who serves as a Legislative Liaison
- Drafted Insurance Billing Guidelines for review by Disciplinary Counsel
- Member serving on the Judicial Selection Committee
- Opportunities to author articles for the Notebook of Articles and the DTCWV Newsletter
- A very active Amicus Committee
- Lunch time quarterly meetings of each of the 9 substantive committees
- The Young Lawyers Committee is very active thourgh Socials for networking, hosting the Deposition Camp, Trial Academy, writing for the Annual Meeting Notebook of Articles, Newsletter articles and opportunities for other involvement in DTCWV
- WV Legislative Lobbyist to keep the organization informed of any rulings that will affect the defense practice
- WVU College of Law Student Group
The Defense Research Institute (DRI) membership is available through membership in DTCWV. First year membership in DRI is free if you are a DTCWV member and a first-time member of DRI. We encourage our membership to become members of DRI. Visit their website for more information at www.dri.org.
Join Us Today!